mali

Ramadan in Mali: Two dead as jihadis storm tourist resort popular with Westerners

“It is a jihadist attack,” said Mali’s security minister. If it had taken place in Europe, we would probably be hearing about how the gunmen were suffering from mental illness.

Mali attack: Two dead as gunmen storm tourist resort,” BBC, June 18, 2017:

Gunmen have stormed a tourist resort in Mali popular with Westerners and two people are dead, the country’s security minister has said.

“It is a jihadist attack. Malian special forces intervened and hostages have been released,” Salif Traore told AFP.

“Unfortunately for the moment there are two dead, including a Franco-Gabonese.”

Government troops battled the gunmen at the luxury resort Le Campement Kangaba, east of the capital Bamako.

According to the security ministry, “one of the terrorists was able to escape, after being injured”. He left behind a machine gun and bottles filled with “explosive substances”.

The ministry said another two people had been injured, including a civilian.

A security ministry spokesman told Reuters 32 guests had been rescued from the resort.

Malian special forces intervened, backed by UN soldiers and troops from a French counter-terrorism force.

Witness Boubacar Sangare was just outside the compound as the attack unfolded.

“Westerners were fleeing the encampment while two plainclothes police exchanged fire with the assailants,” he said.

“There were four national police vehicles and French soldiers in armoured vehicles on the scene.”…

Source: Ramadan in Mali: Two dead as jihadis storm tourist resort popular with Westerners

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *