Politico’s editorial staff on Friday conceded that entire basis of attack on Carson was invented out of whole cloth.
Politico‘s Kyle Cheney admitted that he fabricated a negative story about Ben Carson. At least, according to his own standards, he admitted the grievous journalistic sin.
In a story published early on Friday, Politico’s Kyle Cheney authored a piece headlined “Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship” with a subhed “Carson’s campaign on Friday conceded that a central point in his inspirational personal story did not occur as he previously described.”
There were at least five major problems with the story:
- The headline was completely false
- The subhed was also completely false
- The opening paragraph was false false false
- The substance of the piece was missing key exonerating information
- The article demonstrated confusion about service academy admissions and benefits